Saturday, November 3, 2012

Who's Next?


              If you are like me, an overly obsessed sports enthusiast, you get attached to some players. You get attached to guys who's game is just great with a bright future. Personally, I loved watching a 23 year old Tracy McGrady make it look so easy to play the game. I know I am not the only one. For some reason, a lot of people who love basketball around my age (I'm 20), just LOVE Tracy McGrady. They rant and rave about how easy he made the game look. They saw his speed, jumping, and height (6'8") and just gushed over the potential. They saw how he easily it came to him, taking the ball and killing them from the Triple Threat attack. T-Mac sometimes was lazy, and his injuries got in the way. In 2002-03 though, there was no bigger baller in the planet in kids eyes. The way he just floated around the court and put up difficult shots that would go in, it was Magic (no pun for the team he played for intended). His shoes came out, and we were all buying a pair. I wish I still had my pair, because quite frankly no one light up my eyes in basketball (in one season) than Tracy McGrady did. See Jordan was winning his first three titles when I was ages not born, 0, and 1. Some of my first basketball memories were built on me being 6 years old watching Jordan in my living room in South Bend, Indiana. I went and saw him live three times, and I was so young I only remember one of them. I have very few memories of my old house, couldn't even remember my room for reference, but I remember Jordan playing Reggie Miller and then Malone and Stockton.
            So I instantly gravitated towards the Shooting Guard position. I was grown up on Jordan, and seeing a guy at his size was just something I could relate to. Shaq was nice, but watching the craftiness, the speed, the cunning, the athleticism, just the beauty. Jordan was the master artist in basketball, and the pictures he crafted were just gorgeous. Iverson couldn't make me feel like that, nor did Kobe or Vince. Post McGrady, Dwyane Wade sometimes did, but other times fizzled. In 2002-03, McGrady was painting us pictures I never thought I would see and it was beautiful. Just the feeling you got when you saw that blue number 1 holding out the ball in his out stretched arm. Make a couple steps, raise up, and can a shot over someone was just awesome. It was like rooting for some hard to achieve feat, and watching this guy overcome it all every time down the floor. Just look at the artwork.






You get the picture.

Now the second part to this is, T-Mac didn't have any help. He put the team on his back and carried them every night until the Pistons eliminated them.

This season's start was 10 years ago.

I have missed this for 10 straight years.

I have found possibly a saving grace.

From ESPN here is another 2-guards shooting chart on a 45-point, 14-19 day.



Now Harden isn't the artist that T-Mac is at all. His game is a lot more grungy, but I mean Pearl Jam was a good band, right? He is definitely a more likable guy than Kobe or Iverson, and a more consistent producer than Vince Carter. He can be a bigger star than Manu or Monta, and I just personally prefer someone's game like his to Wade's. Harden two nights in a row has put the team on his back, and both nights they have won. He's averaging 41, 7, and 6, while shooting 63.6% and 42.9% from deep. What Harden may lose in beauty, he definitely picks up in his desire to be efficient. He has a trademark look, and just has a game and personality you can attach to. Will his stats come down? Of course unless he wants to become the GOAT. However, I see some flashes of Harden carrying the team at 23, that I did of T-Mac carrying the team at 23 10 years earlier. Please stay healthy Harden.

No comments:

Post a Comment